Thursday 21 March 2013

At some point I had to embrace some sort of adult seriousness. That's happening now. Although, it is mixed with some inevitable teenage narcissism as this post is just about me. As a part of my Writing and Editing course this year, I wrote a "Why I Write" piece which was inspired by George Orwell's. I enjoyed the exercise so much that I kept on writing and editing, and editing some more all week and weekend. 

Before the seriousness starts though, it must be offset by frivolity. It really must. 

This is the only true writer meme.  Source:  http://literatureandlibation.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/writer.jpg

Why I Write

I write because my mother hated bedtime stories. The same story every night, about a piglet that ate too much food and got stuck in a fence. Eventually, she didn’t need the book.

I write because of my childhood; lived through a tattered green library card. There was a playground outside, but I was in awe of the mystery and vastness of the portal that even provided red ladybug cushions for the journey.

I write because I read. The divine amalgam of words, images, emotions and story incited me to try. Marquez’s ornate descriptions, Hesse’s internal interrogation and Walker’s womanism made me smile, ponder and question. I felt what they wanted me to feel, and maybe more. The power of expression lured me in.

I write because of Atticus Finch, Santiago Nasar, Adrian Mole and Edgar Sawtelle. I was there in their worlds, mixing my reality and their fiction. Or, was it their reality and my fiction?

I write because, sometimes, I don’t know the difference between dreams and reality. The line between my dreams and reality is blurred by words, images, emotions and stories.

I write because I can’t draw. I think in images and the only way I can convey them to others or record them for myself, is to construct them with words.

I write because of Beatrice and Benedick. The one thing more delightful than a wordy witticism is the gratification of its success.

I write because it makes me smile, and cry. It frustrates me, and calms me. It lets me rant and bitch, but also reflect and romanticize.

I write because I am sometimes ignored. People aren’t always interested in what I have to say.

I write because I like being alone.

I write because I don’t like sharing. Some things are too complex and personal to share with others. But, even when they aren’t, I don’t like speaking to others about how I feel.

I write because it gives me pleasure – the lip-biting ecstasy of crafting emotions, experiences and images, and the satisfaction of others’ appreciation.

I write because it challenges me. It’s more intricate and more profound than any mathematical equation. I am forced to think, and confront myself. It’s terrifying. The words don’t always flow, and sometimes they aren’t the right ones. What will they think? That’s terrifying too.

I write because it’s my chosen mode of expression. When I speak I stumble, and at times struggle to get my thoughts across. When I write, a steady stream of my consciousness seeps through my pen and saturates the pages with a scrawled soliloquy.

I write because prose can be more poetic than poetry, and poetic licence is the ultimate existential passport to enlightenment.

I write because I always have. Writing is one of those ingrained, almost mundane aspects of my existence. It’s always been there, like my sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste.

I write for me. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope you write always as you write beautifully!!!
    It was the irritation of the sand in the oyster that became the pearl. In life too, hardest times always bring the best to follow. thank you for sharing your beautiful blog. Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Edward, it's great to hear that...and that people other than my best friends are reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this. is. AMAZING.
    yeeeeeah :D

    ReplyDelete