Wednesday 22 May 2013

Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice. Chuck Norris sleeps with a nightlight - not because he's afraid of the dark, but because the dark's afraid of him. Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Source
Source

I think I might be Chuck Norris (almost). I stopped a revolving door.

My friend and I were in the revolving door at our university library, and by some miracle of inevitable bad luck that's always sitting my shoulder waiting for the most (in)opportune moment to strike, the door just stopped. As it turns out, it was my fault. Oops.

I couldn't decide which segment I wanted to be in (it's an important decision, ok), and as the segment ahead of me almost disappeared, I decided that I wanted to be in that one. In I leapt. Unfortunately, half of my bag and scarf decided that they wanted to be in the next segment. I didn't realise this until the door stopped and my bag almost suffocated me.

Naturally, I panicked. I'd broken the door - to the library. Now nobody could get in. Everyone was going to fail. Nobody would get an education. South Africa would be robbed of its future intellectuals, and it was all my fault. Also, I was trapped in a door. I would never sky-dive, do the Inca Trail or own a Mr Bean-type Mini. I was going to die in a revolving door in a library.

Thank goodness for friends. As I mourned the loss of my and South Africa's future, in between awkwardly smiling at other people who were now stuck because of me, my friend Abbey (who should clearly be an engineer or firefighter or something) calmly suggested that we push the door until the wall separating the two segments was at the entrance of the door. We did this. And, it worked. South Africa's future was saved - thanks to Abbey!

No comments:

Post a Comment